Eeek l know l said l’d post a blog a day but yesterday was a little crazy! l didn’t get home until 11:30 and l just couldn’t be bothered to post (bad l know, but my bed was just calling my name.)
l did a HUGE grocery shop, l bought so many vegetables, l think people thought l bought half the produce section lol
l find that l need to eat larger quantities now that my diet is 80% veggies.
Today was another hospital day: appointments & scans- the usual.
My biggest challenge so far with this lifestyle is finding delicious AND nutritious meals when I’m out & about.
I actually ate at Spring Rolls and was impressed with their vegetarian dishes. They used numerous vegetables to dress up the plate. I appreciate a variety of vegetables instead of just the typical carrots and broccoli (boringggggg.) *Pictures are posted under lunch*
I had a few hours in-between hospital appointments so we decided to grab some food. I have my favourite restaurants around the hospital, that I ate more meals at than I can remember. That being said, my favourite meals at those restaurants include meat and are not plant based meals.
I believe it to be more promising if you go to new plant based restaurants OR restaurants you have never been to- this way you’ll discover new favourites instead of relying on your old meat based favourites.
The comfort in knowing you like a dish is great but when you order it meatless it might not be quite the same.
Zucchini Chocolate Muffins
(My good friend Google- I altered the recipe to my liking)
12 medium size muffins
- 1 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder (I mixed them)
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 melted tbsp of coconut oil (be sure to let it cool a little bit)
- 1 egg (or flaxseed meal substitute)
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of agave
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini
- 1 ripe banana mushed (you can also use a 1/4 cup of applesauce works just the same)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 of you fav chocolate chips (I like semi sweet)
- Preheat oven at 350 F
- In a medium size bowl whisk together ALL dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips)
- In another bowl, whisk together ALL wet ingredients (this includes the zucchini)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Once mixed, add the chocolate chips.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes (the time varies depending on the size of your muffins.)
My fav- Chia seed pudding with blueberries and almond slices!
I had two appetizers and one main (I promise I didn’t eat all of the food- there was SO much!)
Mango salad (bottom left), veggie rice cold wraps (to the right) & vegetarian pad thai (top left).
Dinner was a late one, so I had some left over homemade chilli I had frozen. I defrosted it in the pan and put it on top of some rice. As the chilli was defrosting I roasted some veggies (sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts and asparagus.) I tossed them in some olive oil and put a medium amount of pepper. I baked the veggies at 380 F for 45 minutes. They were so good, even my boyfriend who is not a fan of those veggies loved them!
Rookie me forgot to take a picture of my roasted veggies- next time I promise.
Apple and some peanut butter.
Crackers and some cheese (my first time having cheese in almost a week.)
A freshly baked croissant (gosh darn I love pastries.)
Chai latte from Starbs made with coconut milk. Honestly, I can’t do the almond milk in my lattes but the coconut milk taste the same as regular milk!
*Jour 6 will be posted tonight- February 28th*